MARRCH Executive Director Job Opening
Thursday, May 4, 2017
This position is established to serve as the Executive Director (ED) for MARRCH. This is a full time, exempt, salaried position that reports to the MARRCH Board of Governors (BOG), and to the Director for Association Management services within Ewald Consulting. The ED is responsible for administering the core responsibilities of the role and partnering with the BOG, Committee Chairs, Contracted Vendors, and the Ewald Consulting Staff assigned to MARRCH, and serving as a liaison to both internal and external customers.
The ED is accountable to MARRCH for stewardship of the organization’s mission, vision, and values; the integrity of its strategic objectives; and for ensuring that the activities of MARRCH are consistent with its fiduciary and operating policies as approved by the BOG. The ED will be required to travel a portion of the time, which may include weekends and holidays.
Reports to: Association Management Director/MARRCH BOG
Clientele: MARRCH BOG, committee chairs, members, vendors, state and federal agencies, state and national trade organizations, news media, and the general public.
Core Responsibilities and Essential Duties
- Collaborate with the BOG to ensure all areas of strategic planning are reviewed, developed and implemented.
- Supervise MARRCH’s legislative strategies and direct lobbying efforts at the State Capitol.
- Further the strategic vision of MARRCH, by providing creative and effective leadership in collaboration with the AMC staff, the BOG, and a committed volunteer base.
- Partner with the BOG to develop and achieve annual and long-range goals specifically addressing annual operating needs.
- Provide leadership to set forth MARRCH priorities and program development as well as organizational and financial planning with the AMC staff and MARRCH BOG.
- Develop and maintain the programmatic excellence of MARRCH through partnering with the sponsor and vendor base.
- Demonstrate exceptional interpersonal skills necessary to maintain and increase support for the ongoing work of the MARRCH committees.
- Develop and implement strategies to increase the visibility and success of MARRCH throughout the organization and internal/external customer base.
Communications/Public Relations Marketing
- Serve as an ambassador and represents (or arranges for) MARRCH representation at national and regional conferences and meetings as specified by the MARRCH Board. Coordinate and staff MARRCH exhibits as appropriate.
- Function as a liaison for information between the BOG, Committee Chairs, Committee Members and others.
- Collaborate with the President and BOG to develop meeting agendas and direction for Board meetings, annual BOG retreats, etc.
- Establish and maintain relationships with MARRCH vendors and corporate contributors. Work with external vendors as required, including but not limited to soliciting sponsorships.
- Represent MARRCH to various audiences in a professional manner consistent with the image and mission of MARRCH.
- Maintain effective communication with the BOG, AMC staff, committee chairs, and membership.
- Work with MARRCH committees as appropriate to keep MARRCH visible to prospective members and vendors via major publications or other media.
- Motivate member volunteers to participate in various MARRCH committees and programs.
- Prepare and distribute press releases and articles for publications.
- Develop and implement plans to reach out and partner with other related organizations.
- Develop and implement a specific marketing plan to promote MARRCH membership and certification.
- Accountable for overall financial health of the organization including accuracy in bookkeeping and accounting practices.
- Serves as a resource to assist the MARRCH Treasurer and AMC staff to:
- Maintain appropriate investments to grow and solidify MARRCH’s finances to allow latitude for new business development and projects.
- Maintain appropriate liquidity to keep the organization financially stable.
- Work with the AMC staff and volunteers to maintain and grow corporate sponsorship and vendor participation.
- Manage and coordinate execution of the MARRCH Strategic Plan including regular reporting and collaboration with the MARRCH Board of Governors.
- Ensure that the implementation of projects, goals, and objectives for increasing and retaining MARRCH membership is consistent with the mission, vision, and values of MARRCH.
- Attend and provide reports to Board meetings.
- Serve as a non-voting member to all Committees.
- Serve as a resource to MARRCH’s assigned AMC staff to coordinate/monitor progress on items primarily performed by the AMC and staff including, but not limited to:
- Contract Management
- Financial Reporting
- Event Planning
- Monitor all MARRCH Committees to confirm they are staying on-task and within established timelines.
- Attend and contribute to meetings of the BOG and Committees to report on program-related issues.
- Provide a monthly written ED report to the BOG.
- Responsible for communication between the BOG, Committees, AMC, vendors, sponsors, and membership. Acts as the Board’s voice while ensuring directives from the board are brought to completion.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
This position requires a dynamic, committed and strategic leader who possesses strong organizational and communication skills along with leadership and management experience. The ED must be able to work effectively in a complex environment with a variety of important constituencies who represent different geographic locations, areas of expertise and interests. The ED must have superior interpersonal skills and be able to collaborate effectively with dedicated AMC staff, member volunteers and the BOG. This position requires professional appearance and ease of communication with all levels of personnel and audience size. The ED will be focused, approachable and capable of moving the organization toward a cohesive, unified, organizational structure. The ED must be results-oriented, able to set realistic, challenging goals and objectives for his or her work and meet or exceed them. The ED must maintain a standard of prompt, thoughtful action.
The ED must, through experience or training, possess:
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field and a minimum of 5 years of experience in management of professional staff, budgeting, project management, and working with a senior management team to achieve goals and priorities.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of computer programs including at minimum the Microsoft Office suite.
- Demonstrated results in the supervision and management of contractors
- Demonstrated knowledge of policy issues related to the MARRCH and industry.
- Demonstrated interest in and understanding of public policy issues. Ability to read and comprehend bulletins, manuals, rules, statutes, and other technical and legal written material.
- Strong public and personal relations skills in order to develop and foster relationships with partners and stakeholders.
- Excellent writing skills and effective oral communication skills.
- Ability to adapt and work constructively under pressure and cope with ambiguity and setbacks.
- Graduate Degree in a related field and/or certified in a CD-related field
- Experience working with professional Associations or volunteer organizations
- Technical knowledge of processes, data standards, exchange of electronic information, and quality measurement and reporting.
Working Conditions and Environment:
- Normal business work schedule with occasional evenings and weekends as required.
- Travel to client conferences, members’ facilities, State Capitol and other locations as needed.
Freedom to Act:
The ED has general freedom to act in his/her major areas of management assignment, and within the policies established by MARRCH and Ewald Consulting. Reporting is accomplished through frequent conferences, formal and informal, with the MARRCH Board of Governors, and the Ewald Consulting Association Management Director.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter stating why you believe you are a good fit for the job to Bill Monn.
Compensation negotiable based on experience and qualifications of the candidate – please include salary expectation.
Benefits include – health, dental, 401K, vacation pay.
View the full job description on the MARRCH Career Center: http://www.marrch.org/networking/apply_now.aspx?view=2&id=289697.